[git-buildpackage] Summary of gbp BoF at Debconf 15
agx at sigxcpu.org
Mon Aug 17 13:06:14 CEST 2015
I've put a pdf version of the slides of yesterdays BoF at:
I'll try to summarize the points I remember, please correct/add as you
* Most used tools in the package are import-orig /
buildpackage. The later often being replaced by direct
invocations to sbuild/pbuilder. "gbp config" is mostly unused
currently but it's useful for bugreports. "gbp push" should
be added though.
* sbuild integration works with --git-pbuilder=sbuild
* gbp import-orig --time-machine should also be able to apply the
pq on the upstream and resort to bisict
* GBPs default to comparing debian-branch in gbp.conf with the
git branch isn't always helpful. The should be a way to leave
the Debian branch undefined and then assume the current branch
is sane if there's a debian/ dir.
* Zsh integration is currently unmaintained and should be moved
upstream. I'm going to look into this with Axel Beckert.
* We should switch to defaults that are DEP-14 compatbile by default.
(at least debian/master and upstream/master).
* gbp import-orig --merge-mode=replace looks like the right thing
for several current issues like having merge conflicts if upstream
* Merging RPM support is still ongoing but there are currently few
users within Debian. I hope to have buildpackage-rpm integrated
* Robust rollback in import-orig is being worked on but there are
also some checks that would allow to make gbp buildpackage fail
early in case of e.g. already existing tags (Florian Haftmann
already sent in a patch for the later).
* gbp pq currenlty doesn't preserve DEP-3 headers. One way
to store them would be in git notes (possibly using our own
namespace) but editing them would be not as comfortable as
having them in the commit message (e.g. via rebase -i).
* Improving DFSG branch support was not an issue since uscan
alows to filter out files by looking into debian/copyright already.
* Multiple tarball support would be nice but would complicate the
workflow. At least being able to export multiple tarballs when
building packages would help though.
* dgit integration would be nice. See .
* There were issues reported with --git-dist=DEP14 but that
was traced down to a missing configuration.
* The manual is lacking a clear workflow description at the
moment which makes it hard to start. An addition to the
manual would be very welcome.
More information about the git-buildpackage